Sunday, June 30, 2013

Nerdy is the New Sexy!

Beautiful Women in Harry Potter

I came across this video about a week ago and I love it so much! I am a HUGE fan of the Harry Potter series. I also greatly admire J.K. Rowling. Not only did she write this fantastic series, but she is also an incredibly philanthropic and passionate woman. She financially supports charities devoted to MS and needy children, but she also used her talent and passion (writing) to let kids know that being smart, brave, and hard-working makes them beautiful. 

I also appreciate Rowling for her practicality and honesty in interviews. I think she showed a great deal of confidence and pride in her work through her involvement in the film series, such as insisting that all the actors and actresses be British. In addition, Rowling has been honest about mistakes that she made when dealing with publishers early in her career. For example, she has noted that she regrets allowing the first Harry Pottery book to be published in the U.S. as the Sorcerer's Stone rather than the Philosopher's Stone (it's title in the U.K.) but her position as a fledgling author caused her to comply.

Anyway, here is a delightful interview in which Rowling discusses the strong women in her series, including some less than beautiful ones (Bellatrix!).

 My personal favorite moment is when she discusses her childhood excitement when she discovered a heroine that was "plain" since she considered herself to be plain as well. I also LOVE when she discusses Hermoine who never compromised being smart for being liked or sexy. She was smart AND she was a woman (as finally noticed by Ron!) and there's nothing wrong with that. There have been many days when I have felt embarassed by the fact that I read for fun, enjoy learning, and do (most) of my homework on time. 

Well, all my Smart and Beautiful friends (because it's the same thing, isn't it?), there is NOTHING wrong with having "nerdy" interests. But that also does not mean we are better than our less nerdy friends (or enemies;). There is nothing wrong with being more interested in athletics, mechanics, music, or television. We need all sorts of people to make our society function. If some people didn't love playing football, then my mother would have no respite from my father on a fall Sunday afternoon! And if there weren't people who love fantasy novels, then Sean Bean would not be able to look good dying in film/TV adaptations of said novels. And nobody wants that to stop!

So, remember my Beautiful friends, nerdy is the new sexy!



Can we just take a moment to recognize how beautifully and epically awesome Molly Weasley is?


(p.s.the history major in me is pointing out that all my posts include images and videos that I find inspiring. I did not create them and I do not own them. I found them on google and pinterest. No copyright infringement or plagiarism intended!)

No comments:

Post a Comment